Wednesday, January 26, 2011

One Day at a Time

My stomach feels molten and everything, including my empty mouth, tastes constantly wrong. Chemotherapy patients talk about having a metallic taste but for me the taste is salt. Have you ever bitten into a juicy pear and had it taste like it's been marinated in celery salt and ocean brine? I'm finding it difficult to eat.

Though I'm sure I couldn't properly taste it, this gorgeous soup made by good friend N~ went down easy and soothed the lava pit below.

N~ wrote about our visit Monday afternoon on her blog, the Flying Yogini. She has pitched herself heart and soul into yoga and she's making a daily practice of writing about it, viewing life through that lens. Her enthusiasm is infectious, her generosity is gargantuan, plus, Millie and I each got a mention. So what's not to like?

As you can see, Millie adores her as much as I do.

I was blessed by soup made by another loved one a few days ago - black bean from my sister-in-law, K~. She intended it for the whole family, but I took one bite and claimed it for myself alone. It's the first thing I tried after Friday's chemo that I didn't have to force down. I used some of it yesterday morning as a gravy over steamed asparagus.

At the gym on Tuesday, I couldn't get past a walk on the treadmill. When I tried to run it felt like I was on someone else's legs, surreal and unstable, so I gave up.

In the shower, a lot more hair fell out. It was depressing.

And then I held the camera over my own head. Even more depressing.

On the bright side, I discovered that honeydew melon tastes fine. And so do french fries.

There is more to share, including the bald-spot photos. Coming soon...


PS. You may have noticed I'm remodeling the blog. So far the changes are purely cosmetic. Hope it's not too confusing.

4 comments:

Motherofmany said...

I love reading your blog..you are so "real".
I bet you have tons of wisdom to share with the world.

Kerry said...

I love the life journey via your hair! Always a fan Amy...clothes don't make the man, hair doesn't make the woman. Your self perception is more than that, I'm sure! Hope your tummy settles.

B said...

I was following a blog by a woman who was diagnosed with cancer at 24. While she was going through chemo she followed a diet of high amounts of wheatgrass, Vitamins C, E, A and D. During chemo she had food cravings and was able to eat Thai food while she was in the treatment room having her meds administered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-FAclYBXQ

Maybe you could send her an email and ask for some advice?

B said...

Also, I forgot to mention that she soon started following a raw diet which helped to alkalize her body and balance the pH.