Monday, January 28, 2008

A Different Kind of 2WW

The Two Week Wait (2WW) for anyone who has never struggled with the am I am I not rollercoaster, refers to the seemingly innocuous time between ovulation and menstruation in every woman's cycle. When pregnancy is what you desperately want (or desperately fear), it can be excruciating. You may strive to put your mind elsewhere – and you should strive to put your mind elsewhere, or else find someone supportive to talk with, and then strive to put your mind elsewhere – but every twinge, every ache, every turn of the stomach will bring you right back to where you started: nervously wondering if your whole life is about to change.

The same is not true for graduate school applications - the headache I had last week, for instance, was not a clue one way or the other. In fact, it didn't bring my mind back to will I or won't I be accepted, not in the least. (It did, however, prompt me to drink more water. And eat less chocolate.)

I have to admit, my stomach flips every day when I approach the mailbox. Crisp white envelopes have never made me so nervous.

This morning I went on that One Special School's website, and discovered that I should hear from them, get this: within the next two weeks.

Oy Vey.

No comments: