Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Tower

One of my favorite cards in the tarot is The Tower, which, in traditional decks, depicts a graphic scene of death and destruction: a crumbling tower struck by lightening, fires raging within, bodies tumbling head-first from the ruins.

According to Psymon.com, The Tower card "denotes abrupt changes in life." The message being: "The structure upon which you have built your ideals, beliefs, values or pride has become outdated, challenged and consumed by changes in its structure from the foundation on up. The tower you have built around your beliefs has no choice but to fall down, crumbling before your eyes."

What could be more appropriate for me these days?

When I began this blog, I was thirty-five, an abortion counselor, and a wife. I would even go so far as to say that I was happily married. I was also depressed, but didn't realize it. I suppose I should've known I wouldn't stay thirty-five forever, but I didn't realize how quickly and thoroughly everything can change.

I love how this card reminds me that what can seem like tremendous loss can also be a precursor to tremendous gain. The Tower card's message of calamity is couched in hopefulness. It reminds me that, though there is great insecurity in times of such revolutionary upheaval, there is also new and precious freedom to reinvent.

What does this mean for Babies or Not? I know for sure that I'll keep writing, that the blog will go on. There will be some reinvention, some expansion. It will change, necessarily, and, I think, for the better.

I'll write once or maybe even twice more before leaving for Mexico next Monday, and resume again when I return the following week, a new woman. (Or at least a tan and well-rested woman.)

And believe me, people, I'll have plenty to say.

5 comments:

J said...

Nice. Have a wonderfully relaxing vacation, look forward to reading what you've got to say.

Nico said...

Have a great trip!!

Anonymous said...

Keep musing!
Pase un buen tiempo en Mexico, chiquita. Bebe una cerveza para mi.
(crappy spanish from years of no practice.)
M

Anonymous said...

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end..."

Have fun.

Vie

Amy said...

just getting around to responding to these comments on this post, which gave me smiles when I first read them, and again I'm smiling as I reread. thank you, new friends and old.