Thursday, February 02, 2012

When All Else Fails, Borscht

There's nothing simpler than borscht and no wrong way to make it. Mine is equal parts chopped beets, carrots, and cabbage, plus an onion, a little dill, and a splash of bright vinegar or lemon juice in the broth (which can begin as any kind of stock or just plain water). After cooking, I put this one through the blender and then added kidney beans, leftover roasted parsnips and Brussels sprouts, and some chopped kale. On top: a little decadent dollop of sour cream (you can use plain yogurt, or a soy or cashew alternative, or go without, it's delicious either way) and a sprinkling of diced sweet Vidalia onion.

Here it is naked, with added veg.

I keep starting and abandoning blog posts. There's so much I'd like to write about but it's overwhelming at the moment and my words come out bla bla bla. I can't quite get to the point. When I find it, I'll let you know. In the meantime, soup. PLUS: If you're curious about my artwork, I'm sharing my latest greeting card productions over here.

1 comment:

Melisa said...

Amy,

I've commented on your blog before; you and I went through breast cancer treatment during the same time. I'm wishing you well. Thanks for posting--you're an inspiration.
Sending love from NC,
Melisa