Friday, August 13, 2010

The Beach


One afternoon toward the end of our vacation, J~ and I hiked along a wind-swept cliff where Pacific Ocean meets land at the Wilder Preserve, just north of Santa Cruz. The wind was so cold and stiff we had to lean into it, shoulders rigid, but the sky was crystalline, cloudless, and the sun was warm.

Eventually, we wound down a narrow trail to a sheltered cove. It was a relief to get out of the wind, to watch the deep blue ocean, the waves rolling in, to dig our feet into warm sand and feel the sun hot on our backs. We had the place to ourselves. Before long we were out of our sweatshirts and sprawled in the sand sleeping like contented kittens.

Internally, I am still sleeping on that beach, blissful in the sun as waves crash and whisper on the shore of my mind, drowning out all other voices. In the background, I am aware of the all the mental lists, chores waiting, urgent questions unanswered, decisive actions not yet taken. But I am limp and smiling and not quite conscious and in no hurry to become so.

These last few weeks of summer are my favorite. I hope you are enjoying them too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got back from Virginia Beach ourselves, and as I float in the water, I tried so hard to forget the things that you mentioned and to squeeze every last drop out of the season.

Sara said...

Hi Amy,
I found your blog a couple of months ago and have been reading through your whole journey. It feels a little surreal to catch up to you in time! My heart goes out to you, and I'm looking forward to following you.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I've been following your journey and would like to thank you for putting your story out there. I just looked back on your comments about trying progesterone and wanted to send you some interesting information I recently read on a forum called FertilityFriends here in the UK. I'm thinking of going down this road myself but it's not as easily available in the UK. Do you have an email address that I can use to send you the info?
Black Pumpkin

Anonymous said...

Does this long silence mean good news? Hope that is the case regardless ....